The supplied certificate of authenticity proudly quotes ‘This document certifies that the following instrument has been 100% hand crafted by David Thomas McNaught’ – Effectively, every McNaught Guitar can be tagged as a Custom Shop, Master Built or Private Stock model, or as McNaught proudly quotes on his web site ‘Premium Custom Guitars’ – Working from a small workshop in North Carolina, each and every guitar is personally built by David, whilst his only work colleague, David Mansel, handles all the finishing – Note that McNaught hand builds around 8 guitars a month – Click here to visit his web site and view a short video tour of the workshop – For those who appreciate the true art of guitar luthering, then read on – For the guitarist who strives for that ultimate playing experience, supported by a tone to die for, then again read on – The guitar has an unmistakable double cutaway shape, familiar to the Les Paul Special, Hamers and early PRS guitars/Santana model – Specification of this used McNaught Vintage Doublecut, from 2004 with a classic ‘burst’ finish is as follows :-
- Whole guitar weighs 8lbs and 3oz
- Figured ‘curly’ mahogany body
- Diamond graded quilted maple top Traditional ‘burst’ finish
- Mahogany neck – satin feel – silky smooth with that ‘played in’ character – Measures .885″ around the top nut end and .954″ around the 12th fret
- Brazilian rosewood fingerboard – Note its nice dark texture, along with an even grained pattern through out its length
- Abalone dot inlays, plus for an additional touch of glamour, how about the figured maple binding, which extends north to the headstock
- Figured headstock facia with a matching sunburst finish and a maple truss rod cover
- 25″scale length
- 12″ fingerboard radius
- Dunlop 6100 nickel medium jumbo frets – No nibs
- Top spec gold plated hardware throughout including a Hipshot fulcrum tremelo assembly + Sperzel locking tuners
- Seymour Duncan humbuckers – SH2 neck (jazz model with alnico V magnets – measures 7.25K) and SH4 bridge (JB model with alnico V magnets and measures 15.25K)
- A unique feature to McNaught guitars is an extended 12″ neck/body join which enhances the transmission of tone, sustain and volume (click here and check out the feature on the McNaught web site for further info)
- Condition wise and I can quite easily say this McNaught is in excellent condition – A touch of wear and tarnish on the gold hardware, but nothing excessive – Maybe for a 16 year old guitar you might well expect some blemish, so you’ll have to be very fussy to have any issue with the overall condition- Effectively try and spot any slight graze – Merest hint of fret wear and ‘merest’ is the key word – So no need to worry about any fret dress for many many years
The neck has a fullish round feel to it – Certainly not overly chunky when compared to the R9 vintage spec’d Les Paul’s – The profile has a hint of a soft V about it, around the first few frets, then smooths out to a C profile, as you move along the neck – The comfortable depth of the neck does not hinder your playing performance, as this McNaught is set-up with an easy playing action, whilst the medium jumbo frets allow you to rip into big blues bends, or sit in the fast lane whilst showing off a few cascading licks ‘n’ tricks – The 22 Dunlop 6100 nickel frets are hand-fitted, profiled and polished to perfection – You’ll experience that silky smooth satin feel when you run your left hand along the mahogany neck – Hence that ‘played in’ character from day one – Re-strung with 10-46 gauge strings and set-up with a slick action that responds to a light touch
Plug it in and play a few of your favourite licks, either on clean or overdriven amp settings and immediately your ears will prick up and take in a delightful rich musical tone- The SH2 and SH4 pick-ups work well together offering a nice balance and contrast between lush and bite as required – Overall this is a guitar that is loaded with soul and emotion – The blend of woods, along with the twin humbuckers, delivers a fat, smooth and musical texture, with single coil clarity, allowing you to delve into Pete Green chilled out blues or hot Santana style licks, as required – Hence a Gibson and PRS influenced tonal package – A simple master volume and tone pot, along with a traditional 3 way switch, is all that is required – All the tone is in you and the guitar – The volume and tone pots are your best friend as they function smoothly from 1-10 – As such 10 is the setting when you require a bit more – Whilst you’ll find somewhere around 6 or 7 is that magical sweet spot, so a great place to set-up base camp – The guitar is undeniably beautiful, incredible to play with an unsurpassed tone – Furthermore, only a handful of McNaught instruments ever find their way to the UK, so a very rare opportunity to acquire one
EXPRESS MAIL ORDER - click here for card payment & additional delivery info
For additional product info, to arrange a showroom visit + viewing, or indeed any other questions, then please do not hesitate to contact me.
Call: 01335 345777 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that showrooms visits are strictly by appointment only.
Please read below
Guitars4You is not another corporate high street guitar store - My selection of premium grade guitars is about quality not quantity. Every guitar has been selected, inspected and approved by me, with particular attention to the set-up and playing performance. Every sale, phone call, email and mail order transaction is handled by me. A journey that is now over 40 years old, has fuelled my knowledge, experience, love, devotion and passion for exceptionally fine guitars.