With SRV plastered all over the custom 8 hole scratch plate, it is so easy to identify a Fender Stevie Ray Vaughan Signature Strat – Part of me thinks that there is no point whatsoever supplying you with any additional product info – The Fender web site lists plenty of details and in many ways the SRV scratchplate logo determines exactly what this Strat is – However in true Guitars4You style I’ll list some additional details below :-
- Whole guitar comes in at a very credible 7lbs and 8oz – You can find many Custom Shop aged replicas that weigh under 8lbs, but far less of the USA AVRi vintage models
- The SN8 serial number would lend itself towards a 1998 date of birth, but the butt end of the neck indicates a 99 model – The CTS pot dates also indicate 99 – I don’t think it actually makes to much difference if you went 98 or 99, but I’m treating it as a 99 model
- The C neck profile is slightly larger than a regular classic 60’s oval C vintage profile, that supports the info we know about his famous #1 Strat – Measures .863″ around the top nut end and the fills out to .966″ around the 12th fret – More akin to what the Custom Shop team call a Large 65C profile
- 12″ fingerboard radius + 6105″ medium/jumbo frets
- Re-strung + set-up with 10-46 gauge strings – Only the brave would fit it with 12 gauge or even 11 gauge strings – I can of course edit as required
- Set-up with the trem plate lying flat against the alder body – SRV style – For a more vibrant resonant voice – Trem only needs a light touch to lower the pitch – Again I can edit as required
- Custom Shop Texas Special pick-ups – measure 6.47K neck, 6.97K middle + 8.08K bridge
- Includes deluxe vintage style tweed case
Condition wise and this is a clean example without being able to earn any mint, as new tag – Couple of minor nicks to the gloss burst finish, on the top/belly of the guitar – Otherwise only slight surface grazes that are fairly minimal – Frets are clean – Even the gold hardware shows only light signs of any wear ‘n’ tear – So play it for many hours without having to give it the ‘kids glove treatment’
Tonal character :- Not sure we need to ask – Yet equally we all know such a guitar is not going to allow us to instantly master all the goodness that SRV acquired over his life – Yet equally it sounds like a good Strat, with all that crispy, funky single coil character – Good depth, with crisp clear highs and just enough girth in the mid range – Infectious out of phase tones on position 2+4 of the 5 way switch – Hard to not try out those walking bass lines with Texas Shuffle chord stabs – Or rip into a few catchy riffs with aggressive vibrato – Yet equally, like all Strats it can allow you to try out some funky Chic style rhythm work, or melodic Hank Marvin style tunes – So yes the SRV scratchplate will ensure that many stereotypical pentatonic blues riffs and licks will inevitably be heard emitting from this Strat, down the guitar lead towards your favourite amp – Yet it is capable of doing what most good Strats can deliver – On overdriven amp settings, the volume pot will allow you to roll off from 10, towards 6 or 7, to obtain less gain and a more chilled out voice – Some will say Texas Specials have a ‘spikey’ voice – It will of course depend on the amp + pedal set-up – And with the Strat on 10 their is a tendency to hear more bite/edge – But utilise this voice as and when you require a little bit extra – Hence with the volume pot on/around 6 or 7 it will be a great place to set-up base camp, with less gain and a more chilled out voice – Then wind it back towards 10 when you require that ‘boost’ option – This approach ensures far more emotion and expression
To some players it is just another good Strat – To other players it could well end up being your pride ‘n’ joy (sorry about that)
Please read below
Guitars4You Offers Reliability, Integrity and Expertise
Every guitar in stock at Guitars4You has been personally selected, inspected and approved by me, with particular attention paid to the set-up and playing performance – Every sale, phone call, mail order transaction or e-mail is handled my me – Mark Hopkin, the owner, Managing Director, cleaner and coffee maker (Jo, my wife helps with the coffee) – A journey, now in excess of 40 years, has fuelled my knowledge, experience, love, devotion and passion for exceptionally fine guitars – This reflects in every aspect of our business.
I have no desire to run an Amazon style 'click to buy' guitar shop, that lacks any soul or passion, or indeed to fill a showroom with a selection of dirty, shop soiled or dusty guitars that are in need of a set-up.
For our returns and cancellation policy relating to mail order sales, on the above menu bar click on shop info then select mail order.