With SRV plastered all over the custom 8 hole scratch plate, it is so easy to identify a Fender Stevie Ray Vaughan Signature Strat – Part of me thinks that there is no point whatsoever supplying you with any additional product info – The Fender web site lists plenty of details and in many ways the SRV scratchplate logo determines exactly what this Strat is – However in true Guitars4You style I’ll list some additional details below :-
- Whole guitar comes in at a very credible 7lbs and 8oz – You can find many Custom Shop aged replicas that weigh under 8lbs, but far less of the USA AVRi vintage models
- The SN8 serial number would lend itself towards a 1998 date of birth, but the butt end of the neck indicates a 99 model – The CTS pot dates also indicate 99 – I don’t think it actually makes to much difference if you went 98 or 99, but I’m treating it as a 99 model
- The C neck profile is slightly larger than a regular classic 60’s oval C vintage profile, that supports the info we know about his famous #1 Strat – Measures .863″ around the top nut end and the fills out to .966″ around the 12th fret – More akin to what the Custom Shop team call a Large 65C profile
- 12″ fingerboard radius + 6105″ medium/jumbo frets
- Re-strung + set-up with 10-46 gauge strings – Only the brave would fit it with 12 gauge or even 11 gauge strings – I can of course edit as required
- Set-up with the trem plate lying flat against the alder body – SRV style – For a more vibrant resonant voice – Trem only needs a light touch to lower the pitch – Again I can edit as required
- Custom Shop Texas Special pick-ups – measure 6.47K neck, 6.97K middle + 8.08K bridge
- Includes deluxe vintage style tweed case
Condition wise and this is a clean example without being able to earn any mint, as new tag – Couple of minor nicks to the gloss burst finish, on the top/belly of the guitar – Otherwise only slight surface grazes that are fairly minimal – Frets are clean – Even the gold hardware shows only light signs of any wear ‘n’ tear – So play it for many hours without having to give it the ‘kids glove treatment’
Tonal character :- Not sure we need to ask – Yet equally we all know such a guitar is not going to allow us to instantly master all the goodness that SRV acquired over his life – Yet equally it sounds like a good Strat, with all that crispy, funky single coil character – Good depth, with crisp clear highs and just enough girth in the mid range – Infectious out of phase tones on position 2+4 of the 5 way switch – Hard to not try out those walking bass lines with Texas Shuffle chord stabs – Or rip into a few catchy riffs with aggressive vibrato – Yet equally, like all Strats it can allow you to try out some funky Chic style rhythm work, or melodic Hank Marvin style tunes – So yes the SRV scratchplate will ensure that many stereotypical pentatonic blues riffs and licks will inevitably be heard emitting from this Strat, down the guitar lead towards your favourite amp – Yet it is capable of doing what most good Strats can deliver – On overdriven amp settings, the volume pot will allow you to roll off from 10, towards 6 or 7, to obtain less gain and a more chilled out voice – Some will say Texas Specials have a ‘spikey’ voice – It will of course depend on the amp + pedal set-up – And with the Strat on 10 their is a tendency to hear more bite/edge – But utilise this voice as and when you require a little bit extra – Hence with the volume pot on/around 6 or 7 it will be a great place to set-up base camp, with less gain and a more chilled out voice – Then wind it back towards 10 when you require that ‘boost’ option – This approach ensures far more emotion and expression
To some players it is just another good Strat – To other players it could well end up being your pride ‘n’ joy (sorry about that)
EXPRESS MAIL ORDER - click here for card payment & additional delivery info
For additional product info, to arrange a showroom visit + viewing, or indeed any other questions, then please do not hesitate to contact me.
Call: 01335 345777 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that showrooms visits are strictly by appointment only.
Please read below
Guitars4You is not another corporate high street guitar store - My selection of premium grade guitars is about quality not quantity. Every guitar has been selected, inspected and approved by me, with particular attention to the set-up and playing performance. Every sale, phone call, email and mail order transaction is handled by me. A journey that is now over 40 years old, has fuelled my knowledge, experience, love, devotion and passion for exceptionally fine guitars.