For many years now, Gibson have introduced various ‘budget priced guitars’ to sit along side the best selling models, that have been the back bone of the company – For instance the Les Paul Studio, various Tribute models and going back in time the Firebrand range, amongst a host of other models – Some better built than others and some more successful than others, regarding sales – Equally, for a number of years now, Gibson have offered a compact version of the best selling 335 model, in various guises, like the Custom Shop CS356 – Blend compact and budget together and we arrive at the Gibson ES339 Studio – In this case a used 2015 model with a wine red finish – Complete with the deluxe Gibson hard shell case, along with the Memphis CD size wallet/certificate of authenticity – Also includes the Gold Warranty/Check list paper work – Re-strung and set-up with a set of 10-46 gauge strings and a sensible slick action that will respond to a light touch – The 339 takes on a more simplistic approach, with less trimmings and a compact body that barely measures more than 14″ wide
Host of details in no particular order :-
- Whole guitar weighs only 7lbs and 6oz, so that will please the weight conscious players
- Slim 60’s C neck profile – Measures .838″ at the top nut end and fills out to .895″ at the 12th fret – Certainly a medium/slim neck without being skinny
- Vintage ABR style Tone Pro locking bridge + locking tailpiece
- Gibson Classic 57 ‘paf influenced’ pick-ups – neck measures 7.61K whilst the Super Classic 57 bridge pick-up kicks out a touch more at 8.47K
- 3 way switch + master volume + tone pots – ie only 2 controls
- Grover machine heads with kidney buttons
- The more simplistic approach includes a Gibson transfer for the headstock logo, as against a more stylish inlay
- Excellent condition – One owner and home use only – No nicks or dings – Look very hard to find a hint of a graze of blemish to the nitro gloss finish – You would have to be very fussy to have any issue whatsoever with the finish – Merest hint of any tarnishing/oxidization to the nickel hardware – No fret wear
Tonal character – Retains the characteristic of a 335, so far more crisp and articulate than a Les Paul, with less moody mids – Retains warmth, depth and body with crisp shimmering highs – Enough character to keep you hooked when playing through a clean amp setting, for those chilled out jazz moments or songs along the style of ‘The Thrill Has Gone’ – Great for funky rhythm chops – It is responsive to you and your style of playing – So caress it for more of a laid back voice, or dig in and attack for more bite – Add some overdrive and instantly it moves into the jazz/fusion world of Larry Carlton and Robben Ford – Articulate, so each note on complex chords can be clearly heard – Same applies to slick licks and party tricks – Add more gain for grunge or classic rock – So no shortage of versatility which has always been a hall mark of the ES models over the years – The guitar volume pot helps to offer plenty of expression – As such set-up base camp with the volume pot on/around the 6/7 mark – This will now produce less gain from the amp – Now wind the guitar back towards 10, as and when you require more gain, to effectively deliver a boost option – In short, leave it on 10 all the time and you are missing out on so much expression, that such a guitar can deliver
For some potential buyers, it might be your first step up from a budget based Far Eastern model – For others it might be a decent back-up to your main guitar – It is very unfair to compare it to a regular 335 or 339 with a price tag approaching double the asking price of £939 for this ES339 – You do get a lot of guitar for your money – More than credible regarding feel, playing performance and tonal character
Please read below
Guitars4You Offers Reliability, Integrity and Expertise
Every guitar in stock at Guitars4You has been personally selected, inspected and approved by me, with particular attention paid to the set-up and playing performance – Every sale, phone call, mail order transaction or e-mail is handled my me – Mark Hopkin, the owner, Managing Director, cleaner and coffee maker (Jo, my wife helps with the coffee) – A journey, now in excess of 40 years, has fuelled my knowledge, experience, love, devotion and passion for exceptionally fine guitars – This reflects in every aspect of our business.
I have no desire to run an Amazon style 'click to buy' guitar shop, that lacks any soul or passion, or indeed to fill a showroom with a selection of dirty, shop soiled or dusty guitars that are in need of a set-up.
For our returns and cancellation policy relating to mail order sales, on the above menu bar click on shop info then select mail order.