Sorry if the pics of this used, 1988 Gibson ES347 do not do it justice – But feel free to contact me for any additional information – Traditionally the Gibson ES335, 345 and 355 have been the most well known semi acoustic examples, but over the years they have introduced variations around the established theme – The ES347 is such an example, so in no particular order let me update you with a host of info :-
- No breaks or repairs – No refin or touch – So all original throughout
- Whole guitar weighs 9lbs and 13oz
- Faded + worn gold hardware throughout
- The nitro black finish shows plenty of wear and tear, yet all blemishes are more to the top surface of the gloss finish – Few, if any, marks show the wood, so more scuffs and grazes as against dings and dints – Black tends to hi-light such wear ‘n’ tear more than any other finish – So genuine played in character, that is a touch more than what Gibson now classify as VOS, yet less worn than Fender now classify as ‘Relic’
- Frets are all original – wide with less height than many modern jumbo frets – No fret dress work required
- All gold hardware throughout including the TP6 tailpiece with micro tune adjusters + a set of machine heads with tulip buttons
- Maple neck with a wide/slim feel around the top nut end – measures .804″ – Then fattens out to .953″ around the 12th fret
- Dark ebony fingerboard – smooth with no wear/finger nail marks
- Multi bound headstock, with crest inlay + engraved ES-347 truss rod cover
- Bound fingerboard + body that shows a creamy/yellow character
- 3 ply black scratchplate
- All original pick-ups plus wiring loom – Bill Lawrence ‘circuit board’ spec’d pick-ups HB-R neck that measures 7.25K – HB-L bridge that measures 8.80K
- Traditional 3 way switch + 2 volume + 2 tone format
- Factory fitted 2 way mini-toggle coil tap option – works on both pick ups
- Original brown Gibson case – 2 faulty catches but still protects the guitar
- Re-strung + set-up with a set of 10-46 gauge strings – Slick and easy action
Tonal character :- Easy to say it sounds like a Gibson with a big fat voice – That in many ways is applicable to many Gibson Guitars, but the finer character of say a 335 differs from year to year – The ebony fingerboard adds more clarity/definition than a rosewood board – The neck pick-up is more dark, mysterious and moody, yet not dull – The bridge pick-up is bright with big lows and clear highs with plenty of energy, bite and attack – So a big contrast between each pick-up – As such try the middle switch position, then tweak each volume pot to acquire effective variations as required – I’d say the overall voice is more Larry Carlton and jazz/fusion based, as against Cream or Jo Bonamassa rock/blues, as such I found the guitar works well with a very clean setting on the amp, or with just a hint of gain to add some character – Or again, as a contrast, it works very well on saturated hi-gain amp setting that will suit metal fans – With more classic rock overdriven amp settings it tends to work at its best when playing power chords and riffs – Think big Who style power chords and/or Southern boogie style riffs, or indeed Indie + Grunge – No shortage of character to explore – So now try the coil tap option for some funky single coil flavoured tones, that tend to be far more effective on chords and cleaner amp settings
EXPRESS MAIL ORDER - click here for card payment & additional delivery info
For additional product info, to arrange a showroom visit + viewing, or indeed any other questions, then please do not hesitate to contact me.
Call: 01335 345777 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that showrooms visits are strictly by appointment only.
Please read below
Guitars4You is not another corporate high street guitar store - My selection of premium grade guitars is about quality not quantity. Every guitar has been selected, inspected and approved by me, with particular attention to the set-up and playing performance. Every sale, phone call, email and mail order transaction is handled by me. A journey that is now over 40 years old, has fuelled my knowledge, experience, love, devotion and passion for exceptionally fine guitars.