Any eagle eyed visitors may well have seen this Fender 1973 Thinline Tele on my showroom wall for a while now – It is true to say that I’ve had it in stock a few months now, but have never been in a hurry to sell it – Granted, many ‘true’ vintage guitars are from the 50’s or 60’s golden era – Yet you can still find a selection of affordable classic guitars, that look cool, posses character and attract interest from players and collectors alike – I think this Thinline Tele fits that bill – In no particular order let me update you with a host of info :-
- Whole guitar only weighs 7lbs and 10oz
- Includes the original black case, with stitched leather ends, along with the amp logo with the ‘tail’
- I was about to say the guitar is original throughout – Unfortunately a small hiccup prevents me from saying that – To the rear of the body, you’ll find it has only retained 2 of its original string ferules, hence acquired 4 new ferules, sometime in the past – So maybe you can have some fun trying to hunt down an original set from somewhere
- One piece maple neck – hence the 50’s style skunk strip – Jan 73 neck date
- Medium plus C neck profile – measures .892″ around the top nut end and .980″ around the 12th fret CTS/137 pots with 72 pots date – common for pot dates to be slightly earlier as they are purchased in bulk
- Original wiring loom
- Original Seth Lover designed Fender ‘wide range’ humbuckers – neck measures 10.41K – bridge measures 10.17K
- Original tuners with F stamp covers Original Strat style bridge assembly, control knobs + top hat switch tip
- Original finish on the neck + body
- Original clean frets that show little, if any wear
- For a guitar that is now approaching its 50th birthday then the overall condition of the finish is very good – Granted a natural finish is probably best equipped to hide any slight marks, certainly compared to say a black finish – More grazes and scuff marks to the top surface of the gloss finish, as against nicks, dings or dints – Certainly nothing nasty – Plenty of fade and character, plus that old style patina
- Re-strung + set-up with a set of 10-46 gauge strings and a slick ‘n’ easy action
- Big tone – crisp and tight from the bridge + fat and clean from the neck – In my opinion more suitable with clean amp settings, or with ‘less gain’ to add a touch of character for power chords and melodic licks – Yet equally try it with saturated gain on the amp for big ‘grunge’ tones
- Scratch plate – it is all original – yet common for such scratch plates to slightly warp/shrink – Hence they can ‘split’ around various screw fixings – I have known or heard of some trying to repair the warping by placing the scratch plate in hot water, then place under a heavy weight to settle back down – I’m scared to try such work – I’ve known or heard of players buying a new suitable replacement to use on a day to day basis and keeping the original scratch plate in a safe place, in case they ever decide to resale it at a later date – I’ve known many just leave it as it is and accept it is over 50 years old – Your shout – On this scratch plate you’ll find it has warped slightly on the bass string side, along with a split to the top corner on the top E string side
- The original case it self would now attract a decent price for any body looking for such a case for an early 70’s Strat or Tele
EXPRESS MAIL ORDER - click here for card payment & additional delivery info
For additional product info, to arrange a showroom visit + viewing, or indeed any other questions, then please do not hesitate to contact me.
Call: 01335 345777 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that showrooms visits are strictly by appointment only.
Please read below
Guitars4You is not another corporate high street guitar store - My selection of premium grade guitars is about quality not quantity. Every guitar has been selected, inspected and approved by me, with particular attention to the set-up and playing performance. Every sale, phone call, email and mail order transaction is handled by me. A journey that is now over 40 years old, has fuelled my knowledge, experience, love, devotion and passion for exceptionally fine guitars.