Same name, same shape, but in recent years the Gibson Les Paul Standard has been released, on an annual basis, with slightly different spec and features – So essentially the same guitar but I dare say the finer nuances of the changes, from one year to the next, will attract different players – This is a 2011 model with a wine red nitro finish over a figured maple top, so retains all the classic attributes of a Les Paul regarding its aesthetic appeal – In no particular order then please let me update you with a few key points regarding this LP :-
- Whole guitar weighs 8lbs and 8oz – weight relief/chambered on LP’s from this era
- Med Plus depth to a C neck profile – One piece mahogany neck with a dark and smooth rosewood fingerboard – measures .862″ around the top nut end and gently fattens out to 1.00″ around the 12th fret – Not as chunky as the historic replica models from the R7/R8 and R9 era, but still has a comfortable amount of girth to it
- Features of a 2011 LP are :- Locking jack socket with quick release – Locking tuners – Circuit board for the wiring loom with a ‘see thru’ control plate Gibson Paf Pro humbuckers
- Condition wise, this LP has been played so it won’t acquire the ‘as new’ or ‘mint condition’ tag – Yet neither does it look like it has recently finished a world tour – No obvious blemishes when viewed from 5 or 10 foot away and certainly nothing nasty with regards to nicks, or indeed buckle rash, that has worn the nitro finish down to bare wood – As such grazes can be seen to the top surface of the finish – At least you can buy it and play it without having to give it the kids glove treatment
- Frets dressed and polished
- Re-strung and set-up with a set of 10-46 gauge strings and a sensible slick action
Tonal character – I suppose it is easy to say it sounds like an LP – Yet the finer nuances of tone changes from two LP’s from the same year, yet alone two LP’s from a different year – So subtly different is more valid than saying it is better, or indeed worse – it possesses the fat, warm character you’d expect of a Les Paul with vintage flavoured humbuckers – Yet somehow this LP possesses more of a ‘single coil’ clarity about it, with excellent articulation – The neck pick up is lush and instantly enjoys trying to help you ooze out every ounce of emotion from those moody pentatonic blues licks – It has enough character about it to sit comfortably with a clean amp setting, but I dare say it will spend a large part of its life hooked up to an amp that delivers subtle blues/rock overdriven levels, or indeed saturated hi-gain settings and here it will sing and whailllll as long as required – The bridge pick-up has more bite and bark about it with no shortage of clarity, but still delivered with warmth and depth – Again it has enough character about it to work on clean amp settings – But from driving power chords, riffs and boogie rhythm, through a subtle overdriven amp setting, to scorching lead with more gain, then it will certainly appeal to many players – In many ways it does and says what it states on the tin and there has never been a shortage of players looking to acquire an LP Standard they can can play on a regular basis
Please read below
Guitars4You Offers Reliability, Integrity and Expertise
Every guitar in stock at Guitars4You has been personally selected, inspected and approved by me, with particular attention paid to the set-up and playing performance – Every sale, phone call, mail order transaction or e-mail is handled my me – Mark Hopkin, the owner, Managing Director, cleaner and coffee maker (Jo, my wife helps with the coffee) – A 35 year journey has fuelled my knowledge, experience, love, devotion and passion for exceptionally fine guitars – This reflects in every aspect of our business.
I have no desire to run an Amazon style 'click to buy' guitar shop, that lacks any soul or passion, or indeed to fill a showroom with a selection of dirty, shop soiled or dusty guitars that are in need of a set-up.
For our returns and cancellation policy relating to mail order sales, on the above menu bar click on shop info then select mail order.