Today the budget invasion of PRS Guitars includes the SE series from the far east, along with the entry level USA models, known as the S2 Series – Yet go back to the early 90’s and the EG Series was the first of the more affordable models to be built – Totally built in the USA, that still utilises premium grade hardware, along with USA pick-ups, yet a far more simplistic approach than the boutique flavoured Custom 24 models – So welcome into stock a used PRS EG-4 from 1991, with an ‘electric red’ finish and still complete with the original deluxe PRS case – Note new low price – Was £1099 and now £999 – No fancy bird inlays, in fact no fancy trimmings at all, so no supa dupa highly figured maple top, that features the ‘natural’ body binding, which has become so much a part of the PRS image – The whole approach towards the EG series was simplistic and functional, yet still professional – This format allowed PRS to deliver the EG models at a price that was far below the boutique models of the day – The EG models became the first PRS Guitar to feature 22 frets
In no particular order let me update you with a few key details regarding this used, 1991 PRS EG-4 :-
- Features the one piece Mil Com trem system – effectively the same principle as the models used today – With the 6 screw knife edge modern fulcrum format – Hence push in trem arm and 6 fully adjustable saddles
- Schaller/PRS M6 tuners – non locking on this model, but effectively the same tuner as the original PRS Mk1 locking tuners, minus the locking collar
- 22 fret maple neck with a smooth dark rosewood fingerboard and a set of mother of pearl dot inlays
- Slim taper neck profile that is based on the wide/thin format – measures .790″ around the top nut end and .854″ around the 12th fret – hint of a satin played in character on the neck finish
- 22 medium jumbo frets – dressed and polished
- Alder body
- Whole guitar weighs 7lbs and 9oz so very much in the same ball park as a Strat
- Re-strung and set up with 9.5 gauge strings – originally PRS set their guitars up with 9’s, but today favour 10’s, so I choose the in between option – And of a course you’ll find and experience the usual slick action that PRS are renowned for
- As per a Strat all the electric are mounted on a 3 ply scratchplate – Here you’ll find a 5 way blade switch, a master volume option plus 2 tone pots with the bottom pot controlling the bridge pick up – Like a Strat, various options of the wiring and the tone pots can be modified as required
- Fitted with single coil Seymour Duncan pick-ups that measure 6.59K and 5.97K middle – RWRP middle pick-up – PRS HFS humbucker that measures 14.4K
Condition wise and the whole guitar shows more of a lighter side of use – Compression marks and grazes to the top surface of the gloss finish – No nasty grazes, nicks or dings that show the wood, so nothing untoward that you’d expect from a 27 year old guitar
The whole guitar is Strat flavoured regarding its tonal character, or should I say that of a Strat with the hot rod HSS format – So crisp with plenty of snap and attack from the single coil pick-ups, yet shed loads of grunt from the humbucker – Playing around with the EG-4 on clean and overdriven amp settings I preferred the single coil tones on clean and more subtle overdriven amp settings – So Chic to Knopfler and Little Wing – Yet when it comes to hi-gain rock with screaming solos, plus bone crunching rhythm and riffs and the HFS is on home territory
Please read below
Guitars4You Offers Reliability, Integrity and Expertise
Every guitar in stock at Guitars4You has been personally selected, inspected and approved by me, with particular attention paid to the set-up and playing performance – Every sale, phone call, mail order transaction or e-mail is handled my me – Mark Hopkin, the owner, Managing Director, cleaner and coffee maker (Jo, my wife helps with the coffee) – A journey, now in excess of 40 years, has fuelled my knowledge, experience, love, devotion and passion for exceptionally fine guitars – This reflects in every aspect of our business.
I have no desire to run an Amazon style 'click to buy' guitar shop, that lacks any soul or passion, or indeed to fill a showroom with a selection of dirty, shop soiled or dusty guitars that are in need of a set-up.
For our returns and cancellation policy relating to mail order sales, on the above menu bar click on shop info then select mail order.