PRS EG-4 – used/1991 – white – Closing Down Deal – £899
Today the budget invasion of PRS Guitars includes the SE series from the far east, along with the entry level USA models, known as the S2 Series – Yet go back to the early 90’s and the EG Series was the first of the more affordable models to be built – Totally built in the USA, that still utilises premium grade hardware, along with USA pick-ups, yet a far more simplistic approach than the boutique flavoured Custom 24 models – So welcome into stock a used PRS EG-4 from 1991, with a traditional white finish and still complete with the original deluxe PRS case – Note my new low price – Was £1099 – Now £999 – No fancy bird inlays, in fact no fancy trimmings at all, so no supa dupa highly figured maple top, that features the ‘natural’ body binding, which has become so much a part of the PRS image – The whole approach towards the EG series was simplistic and functional, yet still professional – This format allowed PRS to deliver the EG models at a price that was far below the boutique models of the day – The EG models became the first PRS Guitar to feature 22 frets
In no particular order let me update you with a few key details regarding this used, 1991 PRS EG-4 :-
- Features the one piece Mil Com trem system – effectively the same principle as the models used today – With the 6 screw knife edge modern fulcrum format – Hence push in trem arm and 6 fully adjustable saddles – The original saddles currently reside in the case , so it is currently set-up with a set of Graph Tech Saddles
- Schaller/PRS M6 tuners – non locking on this model, but effectively the same tuner as the original PRS Mk1 locking tuners, minus the locking collar
- 22 fret maple neck with a smooth dark rosewood fingerboard and a set of mother of pearl dot inlays
- The neck profile is based on the wide/thin format with a hint of extra meat on it – measures .832″ around the top nut end and .908″ around the 12th fret
- 22 medium jumbo frets – dressed and polished
- Alder body
- Whole guitar weighs
- 7lbs and 9oz so very much in the same ball park as a Strat
- Re-strung and set up with 10/46 gauge strings – And of a course you’ll find and experience the usual slick action that PRS are renowned for
- As per a Strat, all the electrics are mounted on a 3 ply scratchplate – Here you’ll find a traditional 5 way blade switch, along with a master volume option – Then a quick mod so tone for neck/middle single coil and a dedicated tone pot for the humbucker – Also on the bottom tone pot I’ve now added a CTS push/pull pot, with a partial coil tap option, for a far more realistic single coil voice as and when required – So hot humbucker, or partial coil tap, are the options from the bridge pick-up
- Fitted with single coil Seymour Duncan pick-ups that measure 6.6K and 6.29K middle – RWRP middle pick-up – Plus a hot PRS Dragon Treble humbucker that measures 17.94K
- Condition wise and the whole guitar shows more of a lighter side of use – Compression marks and grazes to the top surface of the gloss finish – No nasty grazes, nicks or dings that show the wood, so nothing untowards that you’d expect from a 27 year old guitar
- The whole guitar is Strat flavoured regarding its tonal character, or should I say that of a Strat with the hot rod HSS format – So crisp with plenty of snap and attack from the single coil pick-ups, yet shed loads of grunt from the humbucker – Playing around with the EG-4 on clean and overdriven amp settings I preferred the single coil tones on clean and more subtle overdriven amp settings – So Chic to Knopfler and Little Wing – Yet when it comes to hi-gain rock with screaming solos, plus bone crunching rhythm and riffs and the Dragon Treble is on home territory
EXPRESS MAIL ORDER - click here for card payment & additional delivery info
For additional product info, to arrange a showroom visit + viewing, or indeed any other questions, then please do not hesitate to contact me.
Call: 01335 345777 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that showrooms visits are strictly by appointment only.
Please read below
Guitars4You is not another corporate high street guitar store - My selection of premium grade guitars is about quality not quantity. Every guitar has been selected, inspected and approved by me, with particular attention to the set-up and playing performance. Every sale, phone call, email and mail order transaction is handled by me. A journey that is now over 40 years old, has fuelled my knowledge, experience, love, devotion and passion for exceptionally fine guitars.